*2026 Annual Meeting Announced*

MARKING 175 YEARS

Between 1830 and 1850 at least five Presbyterian churches were organized that still exist today: First Presbyterian in Shiloh, now in Clarksville (1833), Memorial Presbyterian in San Augustine (1838), First Presbyterian in Houston (1839), First Presbyterian in Galveston (1839), and First Presbyterian in Austin (1850). The Clarksville church was organized by the Cumberland Presbyterians. 

Tomorrow (August 27) will mark the 175th anniversary of another Presbyterian church in Texas. About 35 miles east of San Antonio and sitting on Interstate 10 is the town of Seguin, Texas. While there were some settlers in the area in the 1820s, it was not until August of 1838 that the town was officially founded. Originally called Walnut Springs, the town was re-named Seguin after Juan Seguin, a veteran of the battle of San Jacinto and a senator in the Republic of Texas. The town became the county seat of Guadalupe County in 1845 when Texas became a state. 

Thanks to Ms. Gail Streuen, a member of First Presbyterian Church in Seguin, much of the material documenting that church’s history was made available to this writer. Part of that material is a history of the congregation in six parts which was compiled by Margaret Kiel, a longtime active member until her death April 23, 2001. 

In 1850 the Rev. Humphrey Warren Rogers was sent from the Presbytery of Tuscaloosa in Alabama to work in the area of Seguin with the hope of starting a Presbyterian church. At the time the only church there was the Methodist church. On August 27, 1851 (175 years from tomorrow) the First Presbyterian Church of Seguin was organized by the Presbytery of Western Texas. There were ten charter members, nine of whom hailed from other parts of the country: Colonel William H. Allen  and Mrs. Lavinia Allen (Charlottesville, Virginia), Mrs. Ellen Anderson (Huntsville, Alabama), Mrs. Elizabeth Grundy (Franklin, Tennessee), Mrs. M.O. Miller (Huntsville, Alabama), Mrs. Rebecca L. Holland (New Providence, Tennessee), Mrs. Amanda M. Johnston (Matesville, North Carolina), Mrs. Elizabeth S. Reagan (Marsville, Mississippi), and Mr. J. J. Thornton (Seguin, Texas).

Having met in various facilities for 25 years, in 1876 the church was able to build and occupy their own building at the corner of North Austin and East Washington Streets. They remained at this site until 1953 when the building was sold. Apparently, session meetings were not notably long, according to this October 3, 1871 entry: “Session opened and closed with prayer. Present were Rev. J. M. Wilson, Elders J. M. Miller and Charles Arbuckle, the latter chosen as principal and the former as alternate delegates to attend Presbytery in Indianola.” In 1885 a manse was bought. It was sold in 1936. Another manse was not purchased until 1950. When the church celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1901 there were 78 communicant members and 54 persons enrolled in the Sunday school program. 

Due to a time of church growth the church building was sold in 1952 and land on North King Street was purchased the following year where a new building was  erected. Today’s church is still located at the corner of North King and East Walnut Streets. 

In addition to engaging in the important areas of worship, education, and outreach activities, over the years this congregation has sent commissioners to the General Assembly – in 1947 in Montreat and in 1951 in Orlando. Furthermore, two of the church’s own members were called to enter full-time ordained ministry: Rev. Thomas P. Lovett and Rev. Richard G. Ryan, both of whom were Austin Seminary graduates. Lovett went on to serve churches in Magnolia, Arkansas, Houston, Waco, Austin, and San Antonio. Ryan served churches in Kerrville, Texas and San Antonio. 

The Seguin church has had many faithful pastors, among whom were H. W. Rogers (1850-1856), J. M. Wilson (1856-1871), B. D. Kennedy (1909-1918), T. W. Griffiths (1920-1926), B. D. Kennedy (1934-1940), R. W. Jablonowski (1940-1944 and 1946-1948), Chester P. Karrick (1952-1964), W. A. “Bud” Engstrom (1965-1968), David M. Currie (1975-1980), and Carl W. McCauley (1983-2014). The church is currently served by the Rev. Caryn Thurman. 

By its faithful witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ, after 175 years the First Presbyterian Church of Seguin continues to make history today. 

The Presbyterian Historical Society of the Southwest exists to

“stimulate and encourage interest in the collection, preservation, and presentation of the Presbyterian and Reformed heritage” in the Southwest. If you are not a participating member of the Society and would like to become one, the annual dues are $20 per individual and $25 per couple. Annual institutional and church membership dues are $100. Checks may be made out to PHSSW and sent to: 

PHSSW – 5525 Traviston Ct., Austin, TX 78738.